Thursday, August 30, 2012

Canvas Truisms

I've been spending a lot of time at a Barnes & Noble in Falls Church. They've got a really nice solid pine table that comfortably seats 6 or so perfect strangers, good Wi-Fi, and a Starbucks cafe with all the tea I could want. I'm sorry; I hope I don't sound too much like a, well, snobby person who spends her time at Starbucks and Barnes & Noble. Does it help that I usually get black unsweetened iced tea instead of a chai tea latte? (Confession: today I did get a chai tea latte...) It's a good work space, and it's led to at least one interesting conversation with a guy who asked me if I was writing a book and then proceeded to tell me all about his.


But, I digress.
As I was heading over to the work table this evening, I passed by the canvas bags they have for sale up by the check out, the ones with quotes about reading and vintage-y looking covers of classic books printed on them. Often I like those bags; I've thought seriously about buying one for the last 4 years. But, today, I scoffed. For what did I see? "Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Well, obviously! As if anyone needed to print that on a bag! And, what makes it worse, not one but two, count 'em, TWO people were credited with saying it! Happily for them, I've forgotten both of their names. And hell, I'm sure I've said lots of obvious things in my time. Let's start campaigning to get one of them printed on a canvas bag at the check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment